Conscious Sedation Options
Children and adults alike may experience fear or anxiety of dentists or the treatments they provide, therefore, there are several options to help provide a more comfortable experience when they visit their dental clinics. Sedation is a tool used to numb the area being treated so that you can experience less pain and discomfort during the procedures. There are many drugs available for sedation that are effective in keeping you relaxed so your doctor can give you the best and safest dental treatment as well as provide a good and comfortable environment for you.
Sedation can be either conscious or deep. Depending on what your needs are and what your dentist believes is the most effective way to treat you. Deep sedation consists on putting the patient under anaesthesia. An anaesthesiologist puts the patient to sleep and closely monitors them during the procedure. This type of sedation can be administered to patients who suffer high levels of anxiety when visiting a dentist. It can also be used for children or people with special needs in order to ensure their safety and that the dental procedure goes smoothly.
Conscious sedation is used to relax a patient and block their pain during dental procedures without putting them to sleep. The patient remains responsive and awake but cannot feel the pain or move in a way that could risk the patient’s safety. Different types of drugs that use a sedative and analgesics are available for this type of sedation and your dentist and you can discuss what the best solution is for your treatment. This type of sedation is normally used for short or uncomplicated procedures.
What are the benefits of conscious sedation?
- Wears off quickly
- Faster recovery
- Stays awake
- No anaesthesiologist or specialist necessary to administer the drugs
- Different methods available
Different methods or drugs are available for conscious sedation such as: shots into the muscle in the treatment zone, intravenous line (IV), nitrous oxide (laughing gas) or oral drugs. Your dentist will discuss with you what the best option is for you, depending on the type of dental treatment and your health.
- Shots: injections of analgesics are administered in the muscles where the treatment will take place in order to block the pain and reduce the discomfort.
- Nitrous Oxide: also known as laughing gas, is administered through a mask where the patients breathe in the nitrous oxide to relax them and make the patient comfortable, a local anaesthetic is also used to reduce discomfort in the treated area. Once treatment is done, oxygen is given to the patient to eliminate the effects of the sedation gas.
- Oral sedation: can be tablets or liquid taken before the treatment starts so that the patient is relax and treatment can go smoothly and it’s usually combined with one of the other sedation options to relieve the patient’s anxiety or fear.
Your dentist will discuss with you what method of sedation is best for you and your treatment plan.
Here at University Meadows Family Dental, we are committed to improving and restoring your smile into its healthy condition, under a comfortable and welcoming environment. We are happy to provide you with the necessary information and discuss your options. Call us today for a beautiful smile!
Other ServicesGeneral Dentistry
- Tooth Extractions
- Root Canals
- Soft Tissue Management
- Extra Gentle Cleanings & Polishings
- Digital State-of-the-art X-Rays