Exttra Gentle Cleanings & Polishings
Extra gentle dental cleaning refers to a professional cleaning performed by a dentist or dental hygienist. Dentists recommend a dental cleaning every six months to avoid plaque build-up and other prevent other dental issues such as cavities, and gingivitis (gum disease). A dental cleaning takes about 25 to 30 minutes.
What does a dental cleaning consist of?
- Scaling – is when your dentist removes plaque from all your teeth both by hand and also using an electric scaler
- Root planning – your dentist cleans the soft tissue (gum) pockets on each tooth using a scaler, to prevent any plaque or food getting stuck and creating infections or tooth and gum decay.
- Polishing – involves polishing the surface of the teeth with either air or rubber to make the teeth look clean and shiny. Air polishing sprays high pressured water with baking soda paste to clean the surface of your teeth. The water helps remove any plaque or residues the other steps didn’t remove and the baking soda cleans and removes stains from the teeth. Rubber tip polishing uses a tool that contains a polishing paste to remove stains.
It is important to practice good oral hygiene at home, and schedule a dental cleaning at least every six months in order to prevent any dental health issues. This professional cleanings can also help your dentist spot and prevent any health issues that might otherwise go undetected until symptoms occur.
Here at University Meadows Family Dental, we are committed to improving and restoring your smile into its healthy condition, under a comfortable and welcoming environment. We are happy to provide you with the necessary information and discuss your options. Call us today for a beautiful smile!
Other ServicesGeneral Dentistry
- Tooth Extractions
- Root Canals
- Soft Tissue Management
- Extra Gentle Cleanings & Polishings
- Digital State-of-the-art X-Rays